- Part II
Over the past few months, “Old Yeller” has been doing farm
duty as pickup and wagon hauler. The 3 point lift simply hasn’t
worked well enough to be a useful tool. The new tractor has a backhoe,
and although relatively easy to remove and remount, it means a 3 point
lift isn’t always available. So that was reason enough to revisit
Although our research
(see part 11) showed a two reservoir
system (one on the lift and one on the pump) should work, we have not
been able to make the lift to work properly. So we decided to try using
a pump without a second reservoir.
Our first attempt
was to mount a Hy-Lo pump on the generator, rerouting the ram hose to
the use the Hy-Lo control. We had the same issue – not enough
lift. We also discovered a seal leak on the pump. Our conclusion was
this wasn’t the solution.
Back to e-bay
Barry, in his daily wanderings through e-bay, found a used 12 volt pump,
without a reservoir. This pump fit nicely in the same space occupied
by the old pump/reservoir setup. In a rush to get a test done, connections
were made to the ram and the Newgren reservoir. However, a quick test
with the plow was another disappointment. The plow would not lift completely.
for the pros
to and since acquiring his new tractor, Barry has been hanging around
www.tractorsbynet.com. He took are lift questions to the parts and repair
forum. Early suggestions included the possibilities of leaky “o”
rings in the control valve. That seemed like a real possibility, since
the valve doesn’t appear to have been touched in the past 50-some-odd
years. Getting to the valve means dropping the lift.
By chance, another
board member posted a question about how to learn about hydraulic systems.
He was pointed to an Army Field Manual here.
the manual, Barry realized that he had failed to re-attach a small hose
from the ram to the reservoir. For the ram to function properly, this
hose needed to be in place. Since the Hy-Lo pump wasn’t set up
for this line Barry had chosen to cap the ram. Now realizing that the
return line served an important role, it also helped explain why the
Hy-Lo pump hadn’t worked. The line had been in place with the
old two reservoir system, so that eliminated it as a source of our problem
the process of changing out the pumps, the fitting need to reattach
the return hose was lost. After a couple of trips to the hardware store,
the proper fittings were found. Time for another field trip.
This time, the two-bottom
plow lifted smoothly. Barry did notice a few leaks, so disconnected
the plow and headed to the garage. After a few turns of the wrench,
and taking the time to reconnect the between-the-seats control, back
for another try. This time, the target was a 3 point blade. The blade
is much lighter than the plow, but Barry had some real work to do, so
off he went.
As the action shots
show, the jeep worked like a real tractor, grading gravel in front of
the new barn. The blade lifted smoothly and the between-the-seats control
the pump running, the blade falls slowly. My guess is that the Tractor
by Net pros are correct and the “o” rings are leaking. Since
a rebuild of the control will require dropping the lift, we can live
with the problem for now.
I feel pretty silly not realizing that the ram return hose was important.
These old machines weren’t designed with “spare” parts.
The lift isn’t perfect, but is sure fun to use.